Physical therapy is a healthcare profession where scientific principles are applied in the prevention and treatment of movement disorders related to various health conditions and diseases. Upon the completion of this degree the graduate is qualified to work as a general practitioner in physical therapy and will be able to offer services in the following scenarios: hospitals, rehabilitation centers, geriatric centers, industries, schools, sports medicine centers, health promotion programs, private practice, community programs, and others. The graduate will be able to assume the roles of being a clinician, researcher, administrator, educator and consultant in the above mentioned scenarios.
The Master of Science in Physical Therapy program is housed within the Department of Graduate Programs in the School of Health Professions of the University of Puerto Rico in the Medical Sciences Campus. It is the first and only program in Puerto Rico which leads to a Master Entry Level Degree in Physical Therapy. Admissions to the program are considered once every year.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited College is required. All science courses should include both lecture and laboratory instruction.
- Courses Requirements (38 credits)
Course Credits General Biology (BIOL 3101-3102) 8 Human Biology (BIOL 3711-3712) 6 General Chemistry (CHEM 3001-3002) 8 College Physics (PHYS 3011, 3012, 3013, 3014) 4 Pre-calculus (MATE 3023-3024 or 3018) 3 Statistics* (MATE 3026) 3 General Psychology (PSYC 3005) 3 Human Development (EDFU 3001 or PSYC 3025) 3
*Statistics courses can be from other Colleges, for example the Colleges of Social Sciences or Business Administration.
- Other Requirements
- Apply for admission at the University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences campus by the Physical Therapy program’s established date.
- Minimum academic grade point average of 2.80.
- Minimum pre-requisite course grade point average of 2.60.
- Examen de Admisión a Estudios de Posgrado (EXADEP), the test must be taken no later tan January. Results are valid for two years.
- First Aid training and CPR certified, to be maintained while enrolled.
- Interview with Program faculty. (Only those candidates ranked in the first 33 positions based upon the GPA and EXADEP).
- Physical Address
Offices have been temporally relocated at the following address:
San Juan Aging Center (Clinica Antillas)
65 Infantry Ave. Km 3.4
Bo. Sabana Llana
Río Piedras, PR
Director – 787-765-2144, 787-767-3732
Secretary – 787-765-2144