The College of Natural Sciences ot the University of Puerto Rico at Río Piedras was created on July 16, 1943 by the Council of Higher Education of Puerto Rico REMOVE HYPERLINK to divide the College of Arts and Sciences into three units: the College of Humanities, the College of Social Sciences , and the College Natural Sciences. From that point on, the College has continued strengthening its academic programs in order to offer its students solid, up-to-date preparation in the sciences and mathematics.
The College initiated its graduate programs for the Masters of Science and of Arts in the 1960s. In 1970, it established the Doctoral Program in Chemistry. In 1982 the Intercampus Doctoral Program in Biology began and in 1983, so did the Interdisciplinary Doctorate in Chemical Physics. In 2002, the Doctoral Program in Mathematics was implemented, and in 2010, the Doctoral Program in Environmental Sciences started.
The College has as its mission the intellectual and humanistic formation of professionals in various scientific disciplines. On the part of professors and the students, it promotes the search for the truth by means of scientific research and the sharing of ideas and information across diverse scientific disciplines. In this manner, the College contributes to the chain of human knowledge and helps to meets the needs of Puerto Rico and beyond.